Monday, February 21, 2011

Growing up in the 80’s

If you grew up in the 80’s more than likely  come Thursday night your TV was tuned into “The Cosby Show”.  A show I have recently rediscovered on my Netflix… this show still makes me laugh out loud.  I love his no- nonsense approach to parenting.

l3637d6230000_1_26369

The show was definitely better in it’s early years when the kids were younger, and added to the comic relief.  One of my very favorite scenes is in the pilot episode when Cliffs (Cosby) son Theo (played by Malcolm Jamal-Warner) comes home with a less than stellar report card.  Theo explains to his father that maybe his aspiration in life is to be a ‘regular person’ like a gas station attendant, and that will make him happy.  Cliff teaches him a lesson in economics using monopoly money which has little effect.  Later in the episode Theo makes a heartfelt plea to his father, again saying

“Your a doctor & Mom’s a lawyer, and that’s great.. but MAYBE… I was born to be a regular person, and have a regular life.  If you weren’t a doctor I wouldn’t love you less, because your MY Dad.  So, instead of acting disappointed because I’m not like you, maybe you can just accept me for who I am and love me anyway because I’m your son”

The live audience let’s out applause at this sentimental after school special type moment.  In 70’s & early 80’s TV it would have been left there with Cliff responding you’re right son… do what makes you happy followed by a warm embrace.  BUT… here enters the brilliance of Bill Cosby.

“Theo…. THAT’S THE DUMBEST THING I’VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!  No wonder you get D’s in everything”

It’s CLASSIC!!

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments: