Saturday, August 8, 2009

Have You Seen This??

I came across this breastfeeding doll on the news the other day... have you seen this?? It's a baby doll for little girls that comes with a halter top the little girl puts on that has two daisy flowers where her breasts should be. The baby cries, and she holds it to her daisies, and the doll begins to make suckling noises like the baby is eating, and then she burps the baby.

Hmmm.... there is something disturbing about it to me. I know breastfeeding is one of the most natural things you can do, and many little girls (and boys) will mimic their Moms if they see her breastfeeding an infant sibling which is sweet. On the other hand, what doll will they come out with next? There are other 'natural' acts that I don't want my daughter mimicing with her dolls. On the other hand I don't agree with those who say it's going to lead to 'oversexualizing' children.

Watch this demonstration, and let me know your thoughts.


.
This doll is currently not available in the United States just Spain.

PROS: It encourages role model play, and most little girls love playing 'Mommy'
CONS: There is a certain 'iccck' factor to it.

Ok, here's the thing; I think in the end it's a harmless doll for your little girl, but it does carry an 'ewwww' factor for adults. I would also have concerns with my daughter using it in public, you never know what kind of people are around,

No comments: