Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Puff Pancake…

I’ve heard of puff pancakes before but have never attempted one… so after seeing on a friends blog she had made one for Father’s Day I was inspired to try one this morning… so after an quick exhaustive search of the internet I found this recipe on the Taste Of Home website for one, and thought I’d give it a try…I was a little concerned that there was no baking powder, or soda listed, and wondered how it would puff but I think the 3 eggs achieve the puff!

First preheat oven to 425

Put 2tbsp butter in an oven proof 10 in skillet (I must confess I have no idea if this skillet is oven proof or not, but it’s still in tact).  Place in pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes until butter is melted.

IMGP3625

IMGP3636

In the meantime put 3 eggs in a blender

IMGP3627

Add 3/4 cup flour

IMGP3628

Add 3/4 cup milk

IMGP3630

Add 1tsp nutmeg, and 2 tsp sugar.

IMGP3633

Mix until well blended.

IMGP3634

IMGP3635

Remove skillet from oven… IMPORTANT PSA… remember when going to put back in oven that the handle is HOT!!  I learned this the hard way with another recipe I did one time!!

IMGP3644

Pour mixture into skillet.

IMGP3639

IMGP3643

 

Place back in oven… WITH an oven mitt!!

IMGP3644

Don’t forget the oven mitt!!

Bake for 20 minutes (original recipe says 16-18, but my oven took longer, and I think could have gone as long as 22-24 minutes so keep an eye on it).

When I took out of the oven it immediately deflated a bit.

IMGP3646

I sprinkled with powdered sugar…

IMGP3648

I also put my oven mitt OVER the handle so I was sure not to pick up the hot handle… I learned this the hard way… did I mention that??

IMGP3649

I sprinkled with cinnamon, extra powdered sugar, and maple syrup (the real stuff.. but that’s a matter of personal preference).

IMGP3650

IMGP3656

My four year old LOVED this… she had 2 servings.  I liked it but felt something was missing… I think made or topped with some roasted/baked or sautéed fruit would add that ‘extra’ something it needs.  I could also seeing this be a base for a dinner type meal… Something sautéed like shrimp, or mushrooms, onions w/ chicken or something.  I may play with it a bit in the future.

For a printable view of the recipe go to the Taste of Home Link & it can be printed there…

2 comments:

amy said...

first of all, I *heart* that oven mitt-of course it is toile!

KSL64 said...

So glad this blog is "back in action." Why oh why don't we live closer ... You always cook such yummy things.