Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cinnamon Puffs

Love, love, love these little nuggets of buttery cinnamony sugary goodness… They’re a cross between a muffin, a cupcake, and a doughnut…

IMGP2544

Years ago before I became a Mom I would host a mother’s day brunch for my Mom & sister-in-law.  I did this recipe every year.  I found it in a wonderful Betty Crocker cookbook (I get several recipes from this book, and they never fail).   In this book they’re called “French Breakfast Puffs” I’ve tweaked it a bit to make it my own.

IMGP2527

Today my daughter & I attempted, and failed to visit a new church so we headed home, and since we now had a free morning I decided to make a batch of these.

Start by spraying a muffin tin w/ cooking spray (paper cups won’t work for this recipe).  The recipe calls for a standard muffin pan, but I prefer to use a mini-muffin pan as then you can just pop one in your mouth. (One batch will do one pan of puffs).  Preheat oven to 350.

IMGP2487

Next add 1/3 cup shortening to your mixing bowl  (as an aside this Pampered Chef measuring cup is wonderful for sticky items like shortening, and peanut butter as you just push up on the bottom to get the gooeyness out!)

IMGP2489

Then add 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1 egg to the shortening.

IMGP2490

IMGP2494

Beat together…

IMGP2497

… until it’s creamy yellow goodness…

IMGP2500

In another bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups flour with 1 1/2 tsp baking POWDER, and 1/2 tsp salt.

IMGP2501

Then add 1/2 tsp nutmeg… just enough.

IMGP2506

… and mix all together.

IMGP2509

Measure out 1/2 cup of milk

IMGP2511

With mixer on low speed alternate adding milk & flour mixture to the egg mixture, and beat until combined.

IMGP2514

Then put in muffin cups filling about 2/3.  (I love to use my 1tbsp cookie scoop to do this).

IMGP2515

IMGP2516

IMGP2520

 

Put in oven bake for 25 minutes (adjust time for your oven as needed they should be nice golden brown when done).

Have a cute helper to assist with the clean-up while they’re baking (this step is optional but does add to the fun).

IMGP2518

Also, while baking prepare the melted butter, and cinnamon sugar.

Mix 3/4 cup sugar w/ 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon in small bowl.

IMGP2526

Melt 3/4 cup butter in another small bowl (do this step just a few minutes before the puffs come out of the oven).

IMGP2528

Get out a pretty plate to put them on when they’re ready.

IMGP2532

Take them out, and while they’re still hot (you may want a slotted spoon to help with this as the butter, and the puffs are HOT).

Dip in the butter, and then the cinnamon sugar.

IMGP2536

IMGP2537

The recipe says to serve warm, and while they’re delectable this way… I like them even better the next day they get a little crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.

IMGP2539

IMGP2546

Then have your helper do a taste test…

IMGP2550

IMGP2549

Around here we call just call them “Puffs”

 

1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup melted butter or margarine

1- Heat oven to 350. Spray or grease mini muffin pan.

2- Mix shortening, 1/2 cup sugar, and egg thoroughly.  Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk.

3- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake 20-25 minutes (less if do mini muffins), or until golden brown.  Mix sugar & cinnamon. Melt butter.

4- Roll hot muffin immediately in melted butter (definitely use a utensil to do this), then in sugar-cinnamon mixture.  Serve hot.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!! Thanks so much for the recipe! Tastefully Simple used to have a mix called "Cinnamon muffin melts" that was like this and I have always wanted to duplicate them at home...sounds like these are the same thing!

Pawsalmighty said...

These sound sooo good!

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

These look amazing! Found you through Betty Crocker on FB...can not wait to make these with my girls. Wonderful to meet you :)

bidaboo said...

I found your blog when Betty Crocker tweeted about it!! These look so good and I will definitely be trying them this week. Can't wait to read the rest of what you've got on here. Check out my blog at bidaboo.blogspot.com.

Cedar Acre Lady said...

I would love to know where you got your pretty yellow plate with roses and the neat tool for dipping in the butter and sugar.

No1DawgFan said...

Info in between pics says to use 1/2 tsp nutmeg, but recipe at bottom says 1/4 tsp... which one should be used? thanks... can't wait to try it

Anonymous said...

Saw this when one of my customers started asking me about all the Pampered Chef products you were using. Thanks for the PC plug.

Becky
www.pamperedchef.biz/thecookingconnection

Penney said...

Looks yummy, indeed! You have a knack for making the recipe come to life! You should consider putting together your own recipe book! Good presentation! Thanks! I will make these!

NEWalpole said...

This looks really good! I'll have to give it a try. You would probably like the cinnamon streusel cake recipe I have on my blog, http://simplytastyrecipes.blogspot.com

Nicole S. said...

These sound so yummy, I can't wait to try them!!!

Unknown said...

I will come back, love your presentation. Found you on FaceBook

4evaRisa said...

They look so good. I have to try these. I am always looking for a new fun breakfast for my son who adores my muffins. This is it. Thanks.

Adrienne of Blue Ridge Enchantments said...

Found you on facebook, they look great!

Sudschick said...

A Facebook friend posted this today. I forgot I was a member! I love the way you did this, and it looks super easy. I'll be making these today!
Sudsy

Terry said...

When I followed this from Betty Crocker's Facebook page, I knew it looked familiar - it's very similar to the "buttons and bowknots" recipe in my (cough) "vintage" Betty Crocker cookbook. I started making those when I was a kid. I haven't made them in a very long time, but yours look scrumptious and I'll definitely give this newer recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly aka Super Mommy said...

Definitely going to try these!! Found you on Facebook as well. Thanks so much! Also, yes there are some great Pampered Chef products just in this recipe listing. BIG thanks for the PC product plug.
~Kelly
kellythepamperedchef@hotmail.com

Hannah said...

Yummy!!! I can't wait to try them :)

Unknown said...

This would make a great show recipe, are you a Pampered Chef consultant. If not you have done a wonderful job displaying our products and you should consider becoming a consultant. Thanks for the recipe. RMF3565@aol.com

4evaRisa said...

I made these a few minutes ago. They are out and covered with cinnamon sugar. Also I drizzled a few with chocolate and sprinkled them with bacon! OMG. What a flavor combination. I took pictures and will post them on Facebook when I get a chance.

Thanks for the yummy recipe. So easy and delicious. I hope there will be some left for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Sudschick said...

OK! I made them this afternoon. The muffins were nice and light. I had a plain one, my husband's had the cinnamon-butter-sugar on his. He gives them an 8!

Carol said...

I just made these. They are so good!! Most of all they were easy.

Thank you so much for the recipe:)