Friday, June 24, 2011

Favorite Casserole….Yummy

Another inspiration from the Betty Crocker cookbook that I’ve tweaked a bit…  The original recipe is Turkey Tetrazzini but I usually end up using chicken as I rarely have turkey on hand… just the 2 of us a turkey is NOT practical.  This can also be doubled or tripled… it’s always a hit, and rarely is there any left.

IMGP2527

Start some water onto boil for the pasta. Preheat the oven to 350.

IMGP2856

While that gets heated up… chop 2 cups of chicken.

2 CUPS CHICKEN OPTIONS;

  • I’ve found those pre-cooked roasters you can buy at the grocery store is usually just enough chicken for this recipe… so I’ll use that if I’m in a rush to throw this casserole together.
  • I will also buy an uncooked roaster, bake that… use a good portion for this recipe, and then store the rest in the fridge for chicken salad sandwiches, or freeze it for this recipe in the future.
  • You can also poach or roast 2-3 chicken breasts and use those.
  • I also think there is pre-packed cooked chicken you can also buy although I’ve never done this so I don’t know how much chicken it will give you.

IMGP2855

Once the water is boiling add the pasta & cook according to package directions.  I prefer to use egg noodles although the original recipe has spaghetti.

IMGP2877

I prefer to put chopped broccoli in this but peas would work or any veggie you prefer really.  I buy the frozen & get it par-cooking in the microwave… mostly defrosted & soft they don’t need to be fully cooked as they’ll cook more in the oven.

IMGP2858

So… now you’ve got the pasta water boiling, and the veggies cooking…

So, now in a large saucepan (at least 4 qts) combine

2 cups chicken broth (1 can is exactly 2 cups… one of these boxes is 4 cups)

IMGP2857

IMGP2861

Then add 2 cups 1/2 & 1/2

IMGP2867

Then 1/2 cup flour.

IMGP2869

Then 1/4 cup butter… I also chop into about 1tbsp pieces so they melt evenly.

IMGP2872

Add 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper

IMGP2874

Then it will look like this mashed up mess…

IMGP2873

 

IMGP2875

Heat this to boiling over medium-high heat… stirring constantly… once it gets to boiling continue to stir for 1 minute.  It should have a slightly thinner consistency than an alfredo sauce or a gravy.

IMGP2880

IMGP2882

Add chicken to flour/butter/broth mixture.

IMGP2884

Add the egg noodles.

IMGP2886

Add the broccoli.

IMGP2887

I add chow mein noodles, but almonds would also be good.

IMGP2889

Give it all a good stir.

IMGP2891

Put into a 2qt casserole. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese… I prefer the sharpest I can find, and fresh grated is better, but pre-bagged will work.  Again, use whatever kind of cheese you prefer.

IMGP2893

My feeling too is don’t skimp on the cheese…

IMGP2896

Put in the oven and bake 25-30 minutes until hot & bubbly… serve with some nice rolls or bread, and a nice side salad.

IMGP2897

Comfort food IS served!!

For these pictures I was making a double batch so if the pictures don’t match the measurements I mention go by the measurement.  Full recipe below.

Terri’s Tetrazzini

7 oz spaghetti or egg noodles

2 cups chicken or turkey broth

2 cups half & half or whole milk

1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup butter

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2-1 cup broccoli, black olives, or peas (or any veggie you may prefer)

1/2 cup chow mein noodles (or almonds)

2 cups cut up cubed chicken or turkey

1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.

  1. Heat oven to 350.  Cook & drain pasta according to package directions.
  2. Mix broth, half & half, flour, butter, salt & pepper in at least a 4qt sauce pan (closer to 6 if you double the recipe). Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly… once at a boil continue to stir for one minute longer.
  3. Stir in noodles, chicken, chow mein noodles, and veggie.  Spread in ungreased 2 qt casserole. Sprinkle with cheese.
  4. Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes until hot & bubbly.

No comments: